Saturday, June 18, 2011

I love Salmon!

Its been about 5 years since I became a pescaterian...which in simple english means a person who eats fish but no other kinds of meat..... And of the fish that i have tried here in the US, which include Catfish, Halibut, Tilapia, and Salmon, i could be missing other varieties ....I love Salmon the most.  I was introduces to Salmon by Greg, my co-worker from HP US took me to Washington fort, where they serve the freshly caught and the best Salmon.    We mostly eat Fish on mondays as those days I end up working for over 12 hours (sometimes 18) and this is something that the boy can have ready for me by the time I come back.


I like to make my fish in a couple different way.  One is the Indian Curry style that I can use in biryani or with rice, second is fish pakora style, and most commonly as grilled fish.  The two most favorite fish marinates that i love (i developed them on my own) are:




1.   Mustard Fish - I add mustard powder, Turmeric powder, red chilli powder, a little but of cumin seed and coriander seed  powder, and a good amount of ginger and garlic paste. Sometimes I will even add (thought very less) onion paste.    Depending on what I am feeling that day, I add either 2 tbs of plain yogurt or lemon juice  and leave it overnight.  And next day it goes on the griddle, grill or oven. 

2. The scond is the breaded way.  I use the same marination as above except for no onion, garlic, ginger paste or onions , yogurt or lemon.  Just a plain simple marination with Turmeric, red chili powder, and a little but of cumin seed and coriander seed  powder.  Take some bread crumbs  in an bowl ( I had Italian herbs and spices bread crumbs), add a good amount of olive oil and just a hint of ginger garlic paste.  I am big on ginger garlic!  Make a nice paste.  



Take a baking sheet, spray some olive oil.  Take fish and coat it with bread crumbs and place them on the oiled baking sheet.  Sprinkle some more olive oil on top.  Preheat oven to 400C  and then bake the fish in the oven for about 15 mins or until crisp.   

A simple salad or grilled asparagus go perfectly well with this protein.

You would have noticed I did not mention about adding salt. Well here is why.. my dad is  is a great cook and he shared this awesome trick with me.  Most people hate the smell of the fish and if you use this trick you wont even realize that you are eating fish.  WHen you get fish, dont wash it or anything, just add a lot of salt, may be a small fistful and leave the fish overnight.  Next day wash  fish before you add marination.  When you leave fish overnight in just salt, the fish does not smell and it absorbs the perfect amount of salt that you need.  

Happy Father's Day Daddy and thank you for everything!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;