Sunday, April 8, 2012

Healthy Breakfast #2- Poha

Long time no see... I know one of the standard lines for most of my posts.  Although I have been cooking a lot and Baking too , Yes I baked!!, I just didn't get around to blogging.  Summer is unofficially here and I have different plans for my spring and summer this year.  I am trying to be be away  from a computer or a TV.  I am going to spend more time on  my patio listening to chirping sounds of birds, watch hummingbirds, and listen to other sounds of nature.  So I guess I will be very irregular with my blog posts.  But I am sure that it is OK!!!

In Today's blogpost, I am going to share the 5 min breakfast recipe for Poha. It literally took less than 5 mins and is super healthy.  You need -

1. Black Mustard Seeds
2. Chopped onion (1/2 small or 1/4 if medium)
3. Any peanuts that you have on hand - salted or unsalted
4. Beaten Rice or Flattened Rice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flattened_rice - gently washed  (1 to 1.5 cups)
5. Salt, Red Chili Powder, and Turmeric - All to taste
6. Chopped Coriander for garnishing
6. 2 tablespoons of olive oil

In a skillet, heat olive oil on high heat.  When the oil gets hot, reduce flame and add black mustard seeds.  Heated oil is the key to get the mustard seeds pop, else you will have to redo it.  Add chopped onions.  Saute for 30 sec to a minute.  Add peanuts.  Give it another 30 seconds on flame.  Add Salt, red chili powder, and Turmeric.  After about 20 seconds, add the gently washed flattened rice to the skillet.  Leave it on heat for 2 mins, stirring occasionally.  Serve Garnished with Coriander leaves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;