Friday, July 20, 2012

Watermelon, Mint, and Feta Salad

If you are a foodie, watch food network, or even occasionally visit food blogs then you surely have seen everyone making, liking, or repining watermelon, mint and Feta salad.  I first saw it on a food network show and decided to pass saying who eats watermelon with balsamic vinegar and FETA???!!!A few weeks later  Betsy from Betsylife posted Watermelon Feta bites.  For her take on this, please click here.  By now I was thinking a little about it.  Then I visited Portland where my American Mom raved about it and recommended that I MUST MUST try it saying its the BEST thing ever..




And by now, I had reached a point where I had to absolutely try it  Come July 19, we had a gapluck. That's the name we have given to potlucks at gap intelligence.  I missed the watermelon feast last year as I was not in town when gap intelligence had an everything watermelon potluck.  This year since I was here, I decided to make watermelon, mint, and feta salad.  Always fun to make something exciting for fellow gappers.

At home, we are both watermelon freaks and as a result I usually have watermelon in my refrigerator.  And mint and feta were secured by a quick run to TJs and Vons.  I work within a mile radius of TJs and Vons.  May be I should update you about my work neighborhood in some other update.  Before I share the recipe, I will be honest that I was not inclined to buy Balsamic vinegar, for 1) I was not too sure of the taste and 2) I definitely did not want to spend any money on something that I was not sure if I would use again.  A little more google search led me to my dream recipe in which the dressing was made of olive oil and lime.  SCORE!








 While I loved the watermelon, mint with the dressing, I am still not sure if I would eat my salad with feta.. I have never been a feta fan, and think that with our without Feta this is a great summer salad. 


Recipe



seedless watermelon, chilled
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 limes, juiced
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup fresh chopped mint leaves
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese (I used light)

Whisk together olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt, and black pepper to create a dressing.  Place watermelon cubes in a bowl and coat with dressing and mint.  You can pour the crumbled feta into the bowl, or keep it on side, like I did.  This also helped ensure that anyone who was lactose intolerant still got to enjoy the salad.    


This salad should be made fresh, not something that can be refrigerated overnight.  



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;