Friday, August 3, 2012

One Good Deed a Day



On Thursday, I decided to start doing one 'good deed a day'.  Honestly, I am not interested in changing the world with one simple act at a time simply because  I am selfish.  And in the process, if my deeds change things around me then so be it! I believe that life is a journey and death is not the end.  However, I am not motivated to perform these good deeds to prepare for my post journey, these are only to feel good and make my soul at peace. These small things may touch someone some day, who may send a true silent thank you my way.  I want to truly touch people so that they always remember me as a good person (I warned you before, I am selfish!) Someone once said, perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words or kind deeds you said/did today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime. 





We say finding one good deed a day is hard to do .  You do not want to give money to poor everyday or you may not meet an old lady trying to cross the street everyday. I agree! However, when we move our focus away from always looking for big to small/ minute details of everyday life, doing good becomes easy. 


At work, it could be as simple as watering the plants, helping a colleague when they are wishing  they had more than 2 hands.  At road, when in traffic you can let someone pass without hurling abuses at them.  At Starbucks, you can pay for someone else's coffee.  At home, you can do dishes, laundry, cooking, anything out of turn. At a grocery store, bag  your own items, give the poor guy a 30 second break. Offer your mail person a glass of water.. Just pause, think, and continue! 

A beautiful proverb to close "A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses"



  




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;